Sunday, March 6, 2011

I Love You

Remy Charlip (1995), 32 pages

Audience: babies, toddlers

Format: picture book

“I love you ... say it again" … so begins a clever dialog between mother and child. Equipped with fun wordplay and a wonderful sense of humor, Charlip creates an endearing and playful story of a mother getting her child ready for bedtime. Illustrated with simple drawings and a limited color scheme of black, white and red--at first glance this book is deceptively simple ... but, don't be fooled! This book's creative and clever narrative will leave a lasting impression and soon become one of your child’s favorites. This is the perfect bedtime book! This storyline finds an ideal song accompaniment in an all-time American classic "Skidamarink." So, before bedtime don't forget to sing a chorus or two:

Skidamarink a dink a dink,
Skidamarink a doo,
I love you.

I love you in the morning,
And in the afternoon,
I love you in the evening,
And underneath the moon,

Oh, Skidamarink a dink a dink,
Skidamarink a doo,
I Love You!

Reviewed by: Katharine Quinn, SJSU MLIS Student

If you liked this book, you may like: Someday by Alison McGhee and In a Blue Room by Jim Averbeck

Other books by this author: Baby Hearts and Baby Flowers, Fortunately, Sleepytime Rhyme, and Mother, Mother, I Feel Sick - Send for the Doctor, Quick, Quick, Quick

No comments:

Post a Comment