Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Moo, Baa, La La La!
Sandra Boynton (1982), 8 pages


Audience: babies, toddlers


Format: board book


“Moo, Baa, La, la, la” – sounds like a cow, a sheep, and three singing pigs? Hold on a minute, somehow that doesn’t seem right … I thought pigs said: “Oink?”


Boynton’s unique brand of humor is infectious and pure joy for both children and adults! Her cartoon illustrations are extensions of her witty storylines – this artwork provides personality and character to her books. Hilarious and clever, Boynton has landed a winning combination, entertaining both reader and child. This book will definitely appeal to young children with its rhyming cadence and simple concept (animal sounds). An ideal book for young children who are learning about animals - they can participate by naming the animals and saying the sounds aloud. This best selling book is also available in Spanish titled Muu, Beee, ¡Asi Fue!
Try pairing this book with a boisterous round of "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" during storytime.


Old MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O
And on his farm he had a cow, E-I-E-I-O
With a "moo-moo" here and a "moo-moo" there
Here a "moo" there a "moo"
Everywhere a "moo-moo"
Old MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O

Old MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O
And on his farm he had a pig, E-I-E-I-O
With a (snort) here and a (snort) there
Here a (snort) there a (snort)
Everywhere a (snort-snort)
With a "moo-moo" here and a "moo-moo" there
Here a "moo" there a "moo"
Everywhere a "moo-moo"
Old MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O

Old MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O
And on his farm he had a horse, E-I-E-I-O
With a "neigh, neigh" here and a "neigh, neigh" there
Here a "neigh" there a "neigh"
Everywhere a "neigh-neigh"
With a (snort) here and a (snort) there
Here a (snort) there a (snort)
Everywhere a (snort-snort)
With a "moo-moo" here and a "moo-moo" there
Here a "moo" there a "moo"
Everywhere a "moo-moo"
Old MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O

Reviewed by: Katharine Quinn, SJSU MLIS Student

If you liked this book, you may like: The Cow that Went Oink by Bernard Most, The Noisy Book by Margaret Wise Brow, or Bark, George by Jules Feiffer

Other books by this author: A to Z, Belly Button Book, Blue, Hat, Green Hat, Hippos Go Berserk, Doggies, The Going to Bed Book, Opposites, & many more

No comments:

Post a Comment